Doctor Capla has two locations within walking distance of each other located in Manhattan. Both The Office and The Surgery Center utilize state-of-the-art equipment.
View the Facilities
The Surgery Center is accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc.
The facilities emphasize patient safety and have been inspected and have met 100% of the standards set by AAAASF for accreditation.
- Personnel: Prove to have current and appropriate credentials of medical staff.
- Operating Room: Prove to have safe surgical equipment, sterile technique, and policies.
- Recovery Room Safety: Prove to have safe equipment, staff and policies.
- Blood and Medications: Availability of emergency drugs, equipment, and staff.
- Anesthesia: Appropriate anesthesia equipment, drugs and qualified providers.
- Quality Assessment/Quality Improvement: Adhere to oversight thru a strict reporting and peer review policy.
- General Environment and Safety: Provide a safe, comfortable, non-threatening, and personal atmosphere in which to have surgery.
- Medical Records: Prove to have complete and accurate medical records.
Modern surgery and anesthesia have reached new heights in safety and new, less invasive procedures have been developed. However, economic pressures have created a trend in outpatient surgery in which all types of physicians are doing surgery in their offices. Many of these physicians are performing procedures learned during a weekend course and in many cases, are far afield from their training or not in their field of specialty. Another concern is the use of oral or intravenous sedating drugs on patients undergoing these procedures in non-accredited facilities. AAAASF accreditation assures proper credentials and strict requirements for safeguards prevent this scenario from happening.
AAAASF is unique among accrediting agencies in protecting patients in an office-based surgery (OBS) setting:
- Requires surgeons to have hospital privileges for any procedure that is performed.
- Requires the use of Anesthesia professionals for deeper levels of anesthesia.
- Requires safe surgical environment, equipment, drugs, etc. through specific standards.
- Holds OBS to Hospital standards.
- Requires peer review (peer oversight) and tracks data (complications, mortalities, etc. with extensive data covering over 2 million procedures).